The abbatial complex, as we see it today, is made up of the church, with basilica interior with three naves, around which are a large courtyard and two cloisters.
The church is a monument of great beauty that you would not expect to see in such a rural zone.
The exterior of the complex, as always the result of a succession of interventions, constructions, and reconstructions that took place over various centuries, presents a largely harmonious character.
The interior of the church is entirely decorated: all of the walls are covered by frescoes, and the ceiling is coffered with golden rose windows.
The frescoes and paintings are of great quality, and there are other important works, such as the grand "Universal Judgment" on the internal façade and several frescoes by Orazio Genaleschi.
The ensemble is very attractive, even thanks to the clever lighting effects.
In front of the abbatial complex, you'll find a picturesque narrow street with two rows of low narrow houses with small commercial activities.
In the Middle Ages, the complex made up one of the richest and most powerful monastic communities in Central Italy. Its origins date back to the mid-6th century. Destroyed immediately after, it was reconstructed in its modern-day site between the 7th and 8th century by a group of monks coming from Savoye, with head, Tommaso di Maurienne.
Its border position always gave Farfa notable political relevance, which it enjoyed in grand fortune until the period of raids by Arabic robbers, concluding when, in 898, the Abbey was taken and set on fire. Reconstructed after a few years, after several difficulties, it came back in the 11th century in its ancient splendor; having passed from imperial to papal patronage, in 1567 it was annexed to the Cassinese congregation and at the same time began a series of large restoration works to the monastic complex.
This new phase of economic momentum lasted until the beginning of the 1600's, then followed by a progressive decline in the second half of the century.
With the ravages provoked by the French Revolution, the monastery lost its autonomy as an ecclesiastical entity.